What are the benefits of installing a Rainwater tank at my property?
A rainwater tank gives you your own water supply. You’ll save on your water bills, as well as help to:
- reduce demand on the city’s main water supplies and network infrastructure
- defer the need for new dams
- reduce the size of water distribution pipes and the energy needed to operate supply systems
- reduce storm water run-off that can cause local erosion and flooding
- improve water quality in local waterways, the river and the bay
The Council recommends you use your tank water for:
- toilet flushing
- watering the garden
- washing the car
- cold water washing machine taps
Using a 3,000 litre tank for toilet flushing, washing machine and outdoor use will cut the average Brisbane household’s use of mains water by 11%. Your local plumber, builder or rainwater tank supplier can give you information about installing a rainwater tank at your home. Before installing your tank, you may need to obtain plumbing and/or building approvals to make sure it meets plumbing and building standards.